Get well soon. . Here . . . Have A Giant Strawberry.

 “Mom” and “Dad” (my in-laws) asked me to make a get-well-soon cake for their friend recovering from surgery. This strawberry inspired cake is Ube cake filled and frosted with coconut buttercream.  When I make ube cake I usually fill the cake with macapuno. This time to prevent the cake from falling apart I filled the cake with coconut buttercream. The runny macapuno will make this top heavy cake unstable. Unfortunately the cake remains unstable after using buttercream filling and making the bottom wider.  For added stability I framed the bottom of the cake with a small amount of fondant. I shook the cake a couple of times and finally no movement! Yippee! Cake stability is achieved! Let me tell you there is nothing more heartbreaking than a cake you worked so hard on and have it fall apart during transport. I would probably cry and throw a hissy fit in the car. Luckily, (cross my fingers ^_^ x ) none of my cakes has fallen apart yet.

Back to the cake. I used Wilton's Doll Cake Wonder Mould. It's true this cake pan is WONDERful. I used it for my “Winnie the Pooh” cake, my apple shaped cake, the possibilities are endless. The strawberry leaves is made by using hydrangea leaf gum-paste cutter from the Wilton's gum paste cutting kit. I made 5 pieces of hydrangea leaves, arrange them in a shape of a star on the top centre of the cake. I took a piece of green fondant and shaped it like a tootsie roll and cut off the top to make a flat surface. I inserted a toothpic halfway up the stem, leaving a little bit exposed. Insert the stem in the middle of the leaf star. In addition I made white and yellow strawberry blossoms. I made them by using the large bloom cutter found in Wilton's gum paste flower making kit. Dusted with a little bit of pink pearl lustre dust.


Get well soon.. Here, have a giant strawberry...

Fondant stem and flowers.  Charisma's yellow
blossoms.

Cut off the bottom of cake for stability and attached
with a little bit of buttercream

Put a little bit of fondant at the bottom of
cake for added stability.

Charisma having fun making the fondant blossoms.

Thank you for viewing and please leave a comment.












Comments

Popular Posts