Owl Cupcakes

It is that time of the school year again, "Demonstration of Learning" part two.  Charisma's demo at 9 am and Bronze's demo shortly after school at 3:30.  Its suppose to be a short day that day but they made Friday a short day instead.  Of course everybody wants to get off early before spring break and that includes teachers.  Too bad Bronze has to miss his beloved skating class.  Charisma is off that day and I have the whole day to bake and finish Xavier's class birthday cupcakes.

I baked 5 dozen marble cupcakes.  2 dozen for X's class and 2 dozen for his birthday party and 1 dozen for me ( hey! I need my energy while I decorate!).  I was told I could decorate it whatever I want.  Really!? Since its demonstration of learning day and X is a smart kid ( just like his mom... hehhehe) owl cupcakes are a natural choice.

Back to the cupcakes.  I frosted them with chocolate buttercream.  Using a small offset spatula I made impressions on the frosting. This would be the feathers at the bottom of the owl.  I then drew out thick upside down handlebar moustache  on the top of the cupcake using a "star" tip.  For the eyes I usually use white chocolate wafers and chocolate chips.  I don't have white chocolate wafers so I rolled out white fondant and cut them out into 1" circles.  I then place a pair of circles slightly below the moustache.   Next, I brushed a little bit of water at the bottom of the chocolate chips and place it at the bottom centre of the fondant circles.  For the beak I used a yellow skittle, turned it sideways, and placed it perpendicular to the bottom of the eyes.  Finally, using a star tip I drew out an upside down handlebar moustache above the eyes.

a family of owls

WOOO are you looking at?  Instead of fondant you can use
white chocolate wafers for the white of the eyes.







Comments

Popular Posts